Followers

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Basic muffin recipe with Gluten Free and Flavour Variations...


Here's my reliable muffin recipe that I use week in, week out, adding flavour or substituting ingredients according to what I have on hand.

I make my own yoghurt and use it in all of my cooking.

2 cups plain flour (for gluten free I use ½ cup Rice flour, ½ cup Tapioca flour  and 1 cup either Teff or Sorghum flour but any combination of GF flours is fine. I like Potato Flour as well. Beware of Coconut flour which absorbs lots of liquid. Use half as much coconut flour as any other.)
4 level teaspoons of baking powder
½ cup sugar
1/3 cup oil
2 eggs
1 cup yoghurt
½ - 1 cup any stewed fruit, berries or mashed banana

Sift your flour (s) with the baking powder into a large bowl.

Add sugar, eggs, oil, fruit and yoghurt. Stir gently until combined, without overmixing or your lovely muffins will be tough. Some threads of flour remaining in the mix is about right.

I use a small ice cream scoop to plop the batter into large (not Texas sized) muffin pans lined with large Muffin Papers.

Bake in a preheated 180C oven for 25-30 minutes or until they are firm to touch in the centre of the surface.

This makes about 18 large muffins.

Variations: use flavoured oil such as orange, avocado or macadamia instead of plain oil, use sour cream, whey, milk with a teaspoon of vinegar added, or buttermilk instead of yoghurt, add citrus zest and coconut or poppyseeds instead of stewed or mashed fruit, a tablespoon of cocoa and choc chips, a teaspoon of instant coffee and chopped walnuts or pecans, a tablespoon of honey, molasses or golden syrup and 1 heaped teaspoon of powdered ginger.

2 comments: